About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A New Year

Wow!  I can't believe it's 2013.  When I was a kid I didn't keep track of what year it was until 1980.  I remember waking up on New Years day 1980 and my mother came into the kitchen with some noise makers from the new years eve party she attended the night before.  I didn't know what year it was until she said "welcome to the 80s".  From that day forward I always knew what year it was.  Now 33 years later, I am acutely aware of the years as they pass faster and faster.  Now, all I can do is make the most out of every day of every year.

This year on New Years day I ran!  Not only did I run, but I volunteered, giving back to the sport I have grown to love again (see future post on my second time around romance with running).


I ran the Frosty Four in Salem, MA on New Years day.  At 7 AM all the volunteers for the race (which started at 10 AM) got together to run the course.  It was a beautiful morning.  The best part was watching the sun rise over Salem Harbor.  I did not have a camera with me, so I could not take a picture of it.  For those of you familiar with the view of the USS Friendship form Derby Street, you might be able to imagine how breathtaking the view was.  This only partly captures what the view was like.


Later during the race, I volunteered to man a turn where runners could go astray.  I cheered on the runners and walkers and just had a great time.  I have to admit, it was a wonderful way to start the new year.  What did you do to start the new year?  I hope it was memorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment