About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Challenge = Hard = Good!

Overcoming a challenging situation takes work and can sometimes be hard.  However, when we are successful, we feel good.  Therefore, I postulate that Hard = Good. 

The scientist in me screams for a mathematical equation.  It will be easy math, for the mathematically challenged out there.

If, C = Challenge, H = Hard, and G = Good, then:


C = H
C = G
so
H = G

See...simple.  I'm preparing myself for a hard training season ahead.  More importantly, I have the challenge of making sure all of my runs are "Quality Runs".  What do I mean by "Quality Runs"?

Most running books and articles use this term to define a run with a purpose.  Speed intervals, hill intervals, a tempo run (where you maintain a consistent pace at marathon or half-marathon pace), or a long run. 

I was recently reading a running forum where someone posted a question about this and one of the comments read "Every run is quality....good, bad and ugly."  I suppose this is true if you learn something from every run. 

So, to be able to run 26.2 miles is hard.  You have to train hard, challenge your self, and stretch yourself beyond what you previously thought was possible (see last post).  In the end...it's all good!

Run hard...Run happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment