About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Monday, February 11, 2013

Training to Beat Cancer...No Matter What the Obstacles!

What better way to start off my training season than to have my first group long run cancelled due to Winter Storm Nemo!  Fortunately, I was able to get my run in on my treadmill, and I got in some good cross training clearing my driveway...for 4 hours!
Well, snow aside, I am getting into a good routine as I kick-off my new training program.  My long runs are going to start increasing in distance soon, and before I know it I'll be doing 20 miles again.  I've learned that it's important to remember that while training for an endurance event it's all about building slowly and letting your body adapt to change.  Any runner will tell you that the best approach is to follow the 10% rule, where you only increase your distance or intensity by 10% week to week.  This means that when you compare total mileage week to week, they should differ by no more than 10%. This approach helps reduce the incidence of injury and allows your body to adapt to the increase in mileage over time.

I like to think of this as a journey and not a destination. Every workout, every plan, every week is just as important as the final goal.  How you get there is more important that the goal itself.  In fact, how you get there dictates whether or not you will even achieve your goal.  One needs to trust the process; that's key!

Being part of the Team-In-Training program I have a coach and teammates to help me through the process.  Better yet, I get to help my fellow teammates through the process too!  I've run one marathon, so I have some wisdom (very little) to impart.  How exciting!  What a community affair!  I'll keep posting updates.  I hope you will read these, and please support me in my efforts.
Go TEAM!


7 races, 62.4 miles, one Team
You can support me at:
http://pages.teamintraining.org/ma/vermont13/nealgrasso

No comments:

Post a Comment