About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Race We're Still Running!

I recently read The Longest Race: A Lifelong Runner, an Iconic Ultramarathon, and the Case for Human Endurance by Ed Ayres.  For someone like me, a runner and environmentalist, this book ties together two aspects of my life in a way that is intellectual, philosophical, and fun.

Ed Ayres is a running icon, having been a member of the original New York Road Runners Club that ran the first New York City Marathon, and having run, and won, the JFK 50 mile ultra-marathon.  He also wrote for the World Watch Institute, an environmental organization that is working to accelerate society's transition to a sustainable world that meets human needs.

In this book, Ed tells a story about his experience running the JFK 50 mile ultra-marathon at age 60, using the race as a back drop while he shares insights about running, sustainability, and a life well lived. 

Some may find this book difficult to read because it's dense and intellectual and it challenges the reader to examine their own beliefs, biases, and prejudices.  I would say this book is a subtle call to action in that Ed points out problems with the unsustainable human existence as it stands now and discusses the lessons human's can learn from ultra running about conservation, planning, and endurance.  

Humans are constantly faced with difficulties that are often onerous to surmount, but we somehow figure out how to endure, much the same way an individual runner in a marathon or ultra-marathon figures out how to draw strength and energy from within to reach the end of the race.


Ayers does a great job using runners and running as metaphors for sustainable living.  In every component of the JFK 50 that Ed writes about he circles back to human sustainability and environmental conservation, finding a window through running onto which we can all learn a little more about human persistence and our place in the world. 

My one issue with Mr. Ayers' book is the poor transition from the story about the race he is running and the philosophical environmental and human issues he addresses.  He has a hard time weaving these two components together seamlessly.  However, despite this issue, I still highly recommend this book to those who enjoy running stories and intelligent reading rolled into one book.  Check out Ed Ayers blog to learn more about him and his philosophy. 

Happy reading and happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment