About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Friday, January 16, 2015

Back at it! News flash: Inactivity Worse Than Obesity!

So, it's been way too long since my last post.  For that I am very sorry because I meant for this blog to be active and dynamic.  Well, here we are in a new year and a chance for a new beginning.  So here it goes!

First, 2015 is shaping up to be an epic year for me.  I have a plan to challenge myself this year more than I have challenged myself yet.  Look for a future post on this.



Second, I came across an interesting article in Forbes Magazine that is befitting a new year.  This article summarizes a new scientific study which finds that inactivity is linked to more deaths than obesity.  In fact, the risk of death is double for the couch potatos over the obesity!

In other words, being overweight is not as much of a problem for your health, unless your being overweight is due to the fact that you are completely sedentary...that is the bigger problem.
Obviously, obesity and inactivity go hand-in-hand.  As the Forbes author wrote "if you start getting active, you’ll probably lose a little weight along the way"!

So the take away here is that it's more important to be active than it is to loose weight.  In fact, "the authors say, just taking a brisk 20-minute walk per day can move you from one category to the other, and reduce the risk of death anywhere from 16% to 30%."

So, forget the fad diets that are so popular early in the new year.  Just get out and move.  Walk, bike, run, swim, sweat to the oldies, or play some B-ball...it doesn't matter as long as you are a) having fun, and b) moving your body!  How simple is that!

Oh, and by the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment