About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Choose Your Own Adventure

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." 
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I cannot recall where I read this quote, but when I read it recently it made me think about running.  Actually, it made me think about those choose your own adventure books that I used to read when I was kid.  You know, the ones where you get to a certain point and the book says if you think your character does A, go to page X, if he does B, go to page Y, or if he does C, go to page Z.  You choose the path and see what happens.

Where running came in was that sometimes you have to just head out somewhere and choose where you want to go, how long you want to go, and how fast you want to go, rather that follow a prescribed regime.  Obviously, if you are training for something like a marathon, you need to follow a plan, but when you are just running, just for fun, you should experiment.  Have fun!  Try something new.  You never know where the adventure will lead!

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment