About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Friday, March 8, 2013

It's all about . . . Style!

There are tons of articles out there about running style.  Barefoot running, minimalists, chi running . . . the list goes on.  Which running style is the most efficient?  Which running style results in the fewest injuries?  Which running style is correct?

To be honest, I'm not sure.  I know a runner who has a very awkward form where he moves his arms and upper body in a very odd way that seems quite inefficient.  If I ran the way he runs I would have pains throughout my body.  However, he's in his 60s, runs 3 marathons a year, and never complains about injuries. 

I know another runner who's a physical therapist.  Actually, she's a triathlete and she runs, bikes, and swims regularly.  When running she has an efficient stride and a good upright body form.  Last year she spent 3 months in a boot healing from Achilles Tendonitus. 

What's going on with these runners?  I don't really have an answer, but I have a suspicion that sometimes you can't force a particular style on a runner.  Rather, we all need to find a style that works for our own body type.

One more example.  I cannot run minimalist.  I could go barefoot (I've done it for short distances on grass) but I cannot wear minimalist shoes.  I have a wide foot and even minimalist shoes that are wide (which there are very few) don't properly fit my foot.  So, even if I wanted to, I could not run in such a shoe.  I'm stuck with my normal, 4E, running shoe.  That effects my style of running and my form.  However, it works for me.  I just focus on doing what comes natural and feels comfortable and I'm fine.  I think that's probably the way to do.

Since I'm not an expert, I recommend you read a few other articles.  Here's a few suggestions.

Should You Run in Minimalist Shoes?
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Barefoot Running
How Chi Running Reduces Injury and Promotes Healthy Running
4 Running Styles to Try

Like I said above, there are tons of other articles, but these are ones I've found useful.

Happy running!



No comments:

Post a Comment