About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Down But Not Out (I hope)!

So I've been having some pain in my right knee.  It may be Iliotibial Band Syndrome (aka Runners Knee).  The IT Band is a fibrous connective tissue that runs from your outer hip to a connection point at the top of your tibia (your shin bone).  It is an important component of your leg that supports lateral knee stabilization. 
Where it passes by the knee, it's thin.  Sometimes when you are running that portion of connective tissue can be irritated and inflamed, causing knee pain.  
Well, that's just what I did.  I can walk fine, but I have pain in my knee and the outside of my leg.  I'm going to have to take it easy for a while and I sure hope this does not linger too long.  I don't want this to impact my ability to run the Marathon on May 26th, which is fast approaching.  I'll just have to take it one day at a time.

If you have any advice on treatment, I would appreciate it.  I've been reading quite a bit about it.  Here are a few links with useful details:
Pray that this injury heals soon.  In the mean time, I will continue to train (as best I can), seek out as many solutions as possible, and see my doctor.

Happy running...soon I hope!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Neal! Sorry to hear about your pain, but thanks for the helpful info - I like the images and description.

    Have you ever tried yin yoga? It is an excellent complementary practice to running or any active sport. Yin yoga, unlike more active styles, focuses on the fascia/connective tissue, ligaments, joints vs. the muscles. It is very therapeutic. I have a great teacher - Josh Summers - who teaches every Fri. at 5:45 at Karma Yoga in Cambridge - but there are lots of options. Check out this website for more info: http://www.yinyoga.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying with you for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm praying for a speedy recovery too! So far so good!

      Delete