About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Thursday, May 2, 2013

More on Endurance

I was recently reading an article about how to identify and treat Illiotibial Band Syndrome (IT Band Syndrome) and I came across a line that said once the IT band heals you must build muscle endurance to avoid re-injury.  This got me thinking about muscle strength and endurance and how important strength training is for endurance athletes. 

You cannot run long distances, like a half marathon or a marathon, without strong muscles.  However, for runners a regular strength training program must focus on building endurance not power.

The ideal plan for a runner includes:
  • Focusing on core muscles, such as abs, hips, and glutes, with a sprinkling of lower and upper extremity strengthening.  I like to also make sure my upper body (chest, shoulders, arms) get a regular workout.
  • Strength training should be performed 3 times a week for about 30 minutes.  I like to do a light cardio work out for about 20 to 30 minutes to warm up my muscles, followed by a 30 minute round of strength training.  
  • You can use either free weights or nautilus like equipment.  I use a combination of both, depending on my needs, to target the key areas of my body.
There are so many good exercises.  Below I list a few exercises that I like to do.  I have also included a few links to articles that expand upon the exercises that are good for runners.  For the following, I keep it simple and do 3 sets of 15 reps (3 x 15).
  1. Clam shells:  Lie on your side with knees bent, legs together.  Open and close your knees like a clam.  You can add a resistance band for more of a challenge.
  2. Hip Raises:  Lie on you back, legs up, knees bent.  Raise your mid section off the floor, tucking in your glutes, and hold for 3 to 4 seconds.  You can extend one leg and do this on one leg as well, which is good for hip stability.
    or
  3. Stability Ball Squats:  Stand against the wall with a stability ball against your back.  Legs shoulder width apart and positioned far enough from your body so you knees are over your body.  Press your back against the ball as you do the squat, arms straight out in front.
  4. Single Leg Squats: Some people do this with the leg out front.  This is hard to do, and not necessary.  Stand on one leg, with your other leg bent behind you, parallel to the ground.  Arms straight out front.  Lower your self to the floor, keep your back straight. 
  5. Transverse Cable Pulls:  For this one you need a machine that works for this exercise (my gym has one).  Usually there is a diagram showing how to perform this exercise.  With both hands grasp handle of cable, which should be at shoulder height . Step and turn lower body away from pulley. Feet should be wide apart facing away from pulley, knees bent slightly.  Do this for both sides.
  6. Monster Walk:  You will need a resistance band for this.  Wrap the resistance band around your shins.  Feet together.  Step back laterally with your right foot to 4pm on an imaginary clock.  Bring feet together again.  Step back laterally with your left foot to 8pm.  Go as far as you can, but I try to get two laps in, about 15 meters in each direction for a total of  60 meters.  Eye ball it the best you can.  You should feel a burn on the outside of your hips.
  7. Mountain Climbers Singles:  Start in a push up position. Bring your left foot forward as far as you can and place it on the floor (shoot for under your chest). Brace your abdominal muscles to stabilize your spine.  Switch leg positions in a quick jumping motion (both feet leave the ground as your drive your right knee forward and reach your left leg back).
  8. Mountain Climbers Singles Out:  Same as above, but your leg gos out laterally (knees bent) as you perform this motion.
  9. Mason Twists:  Sit with your back straight and knees bent, feet flat on the floor.  Holding a medicine ball, kettle ball, or small dumbbell, in front of you, lean back slightly, lifting your feet off the floor a little.  Swing the ball to one side of  your body, like you are rowing a canoe.  Eyes forward.  Swing again to the other side of your body, again like you are rowing a canoe.  That's one rep!
  10. Lunges:  Standing erect, lunge forward with one foot creating a 90 degree angle between your lower leg and upper leg at the knee.  Step back and repeat with your other leg for one rep.
Here are the links:
Strength Training for Runners
Strength Training For Runners: How To Do It Right
5 Core Exercises That Increase Stability and Running Efficiency
The Four Best Strength Training Exercises For Runners

Have fun!  B Strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment