About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Blame It on The Rain...

So, I was a little late preparing my post for this week.  I said last week I would post something every Monday and Friday.  I had a Friday Post, but forgot the Monday Post.  You can blame it on the rain, or the long holiday weekend, or the fact that I was visiting my mother in Burlington, Vermont.  I dropped the ball.  Sorry. 

No running this weekend, but I did watch the Vermont City Marathon, the race I was supposed to be running in before I was injured.  It was quite wet and a bit cool, but none of the runners seemed phased by it.



I saw a few Wicked Running Club members, to whom I shouted the familiar "Go Wicked!!".  Got a thumbs up for that! 

I overheard one runner who took 7.5 hours to finish.  He apparently took a little detour and ended up running more than 26.2 (I think by a few miles).  Now, that's endurance!

On the ITBS recovery front, I ran three miles on Tuesday and three more this morning with no problems.  I was very happy to be out running again.  I noticed that as a result of my physical therapy my form is better. 

I never knew what it really meant to engage my core while running, where you utilize your glutes and drive your hips forward. I could really feel a difference when I actually engage my core.  I was using my hips, abs, and lower back to propel myself forward, rather than my legs and arms.  I'm sure that my old style of running contributed to my injury.  I'm so excited to see where this leads!

Well, that's all for now.  Run happy and let me know how things are going with your running.  I would love to hear how others keep themselves injury free, or just enjoy every run! 

Until next time (which would be tomorrow)!

No comments:

Post a Comment