About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Friday, June 14, 2013

Fathers Day Musings and Weekend Races for June 15-16, 2013

(Note: not a picture of me and my dad)

Well it looks like it will be a beautiful weekend for running!  Finally, the rain is going to let up and give us a taste of sun.  Endless rain can start to get me down.  Sometimes I just need to feel the warm of the sun and see a bright blue sky in order to have some additional pep in my step!

This weekend is also Father's Day (I'm sure no one is going to be scrambling this weekend to get gifts at the last minute).  If dad likes to run, even better.  My dad was not a runner but I remember running with him once.

It was the last summer before he passed away (August 1995).  I was heading out for a run and he asked if he could join me.  My dad had never run with me before.  He was feeling a little slugish and he thought a short run would do him some good.  The plan was to do a short loop together, then I would continue one for a second longer loop.

My dad was an awkward runner.  He looked like he had a poll in his back and a saddle between his legs while he was running.  He landed hard with every step and rocked from side to side.  Oh well, we had fun any way.  We talked, joked, and he huffed and puffed.  I remember asking him if he was OK a few times.

Little did we know at the time that he had two tumors forming in his hip joints.  These tumors were what lead to his passing in November, and they were also responsible for his uncouth gait.  After we finished the first loop he headed in to shower and rest (when I got home he gave me this look like "I can't believe you actually like doing that").

I had not thought of that day running with my dad in a long time, but the memory is crystal clear.  I guess that last summer we had together is seared in my mind.  Those are some good memories.

It was nice taking this jog down memory lane!  This weekend, take some time to run with your dad and/or children.  Create some memories of your own!  Happy Father's Day!

Weekend Races


Lots of events to choose from on Father's day!  Have fun!

Saturday, June 15, 2013
Sunday, June 16, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment