About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Why I Love My Bare Feet

I went for a nice run on Sunday where I took some time to shed my shoes and run barefoot in a grassy field for a while.  I've read that it's good to run barefoot every once in a while, but not to go all out barefoot for a full run. 

For those of you who have not tried running barefoot, it's great.  Don't run on pavement if you can help it, and don't run on rocks for obvious reasons.  Try running for 10 to 15 minutes somewhere flat.  I've run in a gym and on a grassy field.  I recommend the field. 

On Sunday the field was still wet from the rain, with a few puddles in the low spots.  My feet and lower legs were covered in grass (I had a solution for that, I'll tell you in a second). 

Also, the eastern side of the field was in shadow, and given the early hour the wet grass made my feet feel cold (icy is more like it).  Once I got around to the west side the early morning sun warmed me a little.

After running a few laps I used the rag I ran out the door with to clean and dry my feet before slipping my socks and sneakers back on an continuing my run on the road.  Overall, it was a great run.  I predict more barefoot running in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment