About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Friday, July 19, 2013

Tips for Running In The Heat

Running in this heat has been quite a challenge, and very draining.  I'm looking forward to some cooler weather this weekend.  I've noticed a plethora articles about how to stay cool when running in the heat.  There is a lot of information out there, some of it seems odd.  However, no matter what you do, you are going to sweat, and you are going to sweat a ton!

The key is to be smart.  Here are a few smart, practical, tips that I follow as well as a few articles with more details if you're interested.
  1. Stay Hydrated:  Don't be a fool, drink and drink some more.  You may have heard of people getting hyponatremia from drinking too much water, but that only happens when you drink too much water under normal temperature conditions.  Basically, if you are not sweating too much, yet you drink too much, you get hyponatremia.  When it's hot, humid, and gross out, and you are going for a long run, drink lots of water.
  2. Drink a Sports Drink:  You need electrolytes, so drink a sports drink.  I like to drink water before my run, then mix water and a sports drink in my water bottle.  I then follow the run with undiluted sports drink.  It works for me.
  3. Run Before The Sun Comes Up:  I run ridiculously early in the morning (5am).  If it's hot, you should too.  In the summer you have to wait way too long for the sun to go down and the temperature to go down to do it at the end of the day.  Plus, by then you are wiped out, so get up early.
  4. Wear Sunblock:  No matter what.  You don't want to be burned.  That's just common sense.
  5. Wear Light Colors: You may recall from grade school that light colors reflect heat and dark colors absorb heat.  Again, common sense.
  6. Wear a Hat:  This will protect your head, provide some shade, and if it's white (see above) will help keep you cool, especially if you have dark hair like me.
  7. Wear Long Sleeves:  OK, so you may say I'm crazy for this one, but if you are are wearing a sports top that is breathable and wicks away moisture, and it's white, the white surface reflects heat and keeps you cool.  I read this an article recently and it sounds smart, so I'm repeating this smart idea.  Plus, the white sleeves are most likely lighter than your skin, but won't burn like your skin. 
So, these are my tips.  Simple, but smart...at least I think they are!  Here are a few useful articles too if you don't trust me:
Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment