About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Monday, July 15, 2013

Why I stopped in Newton

As many of you know, I ran one leg of the One Run for Boston relay from Los Angeles to Boston.  This relay raised funds for the Boston One Fund.  To date we raised more than $85,000.  I posted the following on Facebook recently.  I've re-posted it here, with some edits, for posterity. 

I ran the second to last leg; Leg 318.  I didn't run Leg 319. I choose to do this.  While I probably could have continued running 8 more miles to cross the finish line in Boston, I decided not to for the following reasons:
  1. I had to get up early on Monday (OK, a weak excuse, but true). 
  2. I'm coming off an injury and didn't want to over do it.  6 miles and 14 miles do different things to an injured body.  
  3. I didn't want to impose on those who were more closely connected to this tragedy. I'm sure that running the last leg and crossing the finish line was a much needed healing moment for them.  I didn't need the same closure, so I felt I would defer to them.
  4. I've never run the Boston Marathon and I want my first time crossing the finish line to be after I've logged the full 26.2 miles.  I plan on running Boston in 2015.
At first, I was feeling guilty about not continuing on to Boston.  I drove a head and cheered on the runners a bit, and that made me feel better.  However, upon reflection I think it was the right choice. I, like so many of us, passed the baton to the next team to continue the journey.  Now I count myself lucky to have been part of this incredible event.

Thanks to my new One Run for Boston Family!  It was great.  Let's continue to the momentum!

No comments:

Post a Comment