About Me

My photo
In 2010 I successfully lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise. I had not run since high school because my knees couldn’t take it. However, once the weight was off I started running again with no pain and I renewed my love affair with running. I ran my first marathon in 2012, and I plan to keep on going...forever running!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Why Running Rules, and Other Thoughts!

"Running makes me happy. It tests me, makes me work, teaches me lessons. Above all, running keeps me sane."
-  Caitlin Chock, The Arty Runner Chick

This quote sums up why I run. I started this post a few weeks ago and was not sure how to complete it.  Then I got injured and my focus has been on my recovery and other activities.  Now that I have not been running for about two weeks I am getting restless.  I yearn for the therapeutic rhythmic comfort of a long run.  I miss the early morning plodding when I get to watch the sun rise over the course of my run.  I miss the early morning hellos to the other brave souls who also venture out in the early morning hours for a run.

I find myself jealously eying other runners I see, while sighing audibly as I watch them run down my street.  I've even had a few dreams about running.

I've switched to rowing and swimming, which are OK, but not the same. I've also gone out for a few walks.  Walking can be almost as therapeutic as running.  I went out for a nice long walk on Saturday which was quite relaxing, and rather nostalgic.

When I first staring exercising again I walked every day, sometimes twice a day.  I haven't done that in a while.  So it's been really nice to walk again.  It brings back good memories.

While none of this can replace the the feeling I have when I run, it's always nice to explore something new.  I'm looking forward to running again, but for now I am going to enjoy the other options at my disposal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment